The Ethical Writers Coalition is asking you to share your locally made, eco-friendly, vintage, fair trade, cruelty-free, organic, or ethically produced items in your own photos.
To be clear, your outfit does not need to contain all of these elements. Include as many as you like but if you only have one item that fits, show that piece off! This is a process and we want everyone to participate. Let's break it down a bit.
- Locally made means produced near you, which could mean your city, your state, or even by you!
- Eco-friendly is a broad term. Think about the material used and ask questions (Is it a natural fibre? Is it made from recycled materials?)
- Vintage or secondhand is something that was previously bought and owned by someone else. Preloved, as they say.
- Fair trade is an item that may be certified fair trade or bought from a company you know pays living wages to its employees and producers.
- Cruelty-free means vegan, so anything not made from animal products like leather, wool, or fur.
- Organic means produced without pesticides and certified as organic. This would refer to the textile (e.g. cotton, bamboo) and should be in the materials list on the tag.
- Ethically-produced is another broad term. This would encompass all of the above criteria and possibly more (e.g. zero-waste, upcycled).
- DO look for good light and an interesting background.
- DO take a clear photo of yourself wearing your sustainable item(s).
- DO tell the story of the item or how you acquired it.
- DON'T use this platform to promote brands that don't meet the above criteria.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Submit your photos to the Ethical Writers Coalition at The Style Stories OR post to Instagram using the hashtag #StyleStories15
- Include the sustainable criteria behind your outfit. Bonus points for a good story behind your style!
The photo gallery will be kicking off during NY Fashion week February 12-19. You could be featured on The Style Stories that week, so send us your best!
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: FEBRUARY 12, 2015